On Tuesday, October 17, 2023, Arpal issued the yellow warning for storms, which was modified today, Wednesday, October 18, 2023, and raised to orange for the center of the region between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. tomorrow (Genoa) and until 11:00 a.m. in Tigullio and La Spezia.
Alert, 3bmeteo: “Conditions for semi-stationary storms”
The alert, activated at 5:00 p.m., will be in force throughout the day on Thursday, October 19, also for zones B (center), C (east) and E (eastern slopes of the Po), but at the yellow level. Genoa schools will remain open on Thursday, except for last-minute decisions. In Tigullio we will evaluate municipality by municipality.
“The very disturbed weather continues on Friday – explains Arpal, who also reminds that orange is the maximum alert level for storms – with critical problems on the ground, which will be evaluated in detail with tomorrow’s models. Arpal and the room “Regional operations constantly monitors the current situation, updating assessments based on the evolution of phenomena and the results of forecast models.”
This also means that more measurements can be taken outside of the usual late morning or early afternoon hours. Meanwhile, municipalities intervene in known critical situations, such as in via Berghini in Genoa, reinforcing the protections already in place to defend previous land subsidence. In Sant’Eusebio a road was closed due to the partial collapse of a wall.
- zone A: yellow alert in medium and small basins from 00:00 to 15:00 on Thursday, October 19
- zone B: yellow alert from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., orange alert from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. on Thursday and yellow again from 7 a.m. to midnight
- zone C: yellow alert from 5 to 9 p.m. (medium and small basins), orange alert from 9 to 11 a.m. (medium and small basins) and yellow alert (large basins); Yellow alert in all basins from 11 a.m. to midnight
- zone E: yellow alert from 5 to 9 p.m. (medium and small basins), orange alert from 9 to 7 p.m. (medium and small basins) and yellow alert (large basins) until 10 a.m.; Yellow alert in medium and small basins from 7 a.m. to 00:00 a.m.
Arpal weather forecast for Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Gradual increase in instability throughout the day. Starting in the afternoon, high probability of strong, organized and persistent storms in CE and the eastern part of B, low probability of strong storms in A. The phenomena will be characterized by intensities up to very strong in C, to strong in BE; those accumulated will be significant at the ECB. The winds are strong from the north in AB and from the south in C.
Arpal weather forecast for Thursday, October 19, 2023
Instability conditions remain with a high probability of strong, organized and persistent storms in BCE, strong or organized in A, low probability of strong storms in D. The phenomena will be characterized by an intensity of up to very strong in C, up to strong in BE, moderate in A; the accumulated ones will be high in CE, significant in ABD. Gale-force winds from the north in B and from the south in C; northern forts in A.
Arpal weather forecast for Friday, October 20, 2023
New phase of marked instability for the transit of a frontal system. Widespread phenomena, including thunderstorms with a high probability of strong or organized thunderstorms in all areas. Precipitation with intensity to heavy and high cumulative in ACE. The ventilation increases until it becomes a strong storm in all areas, gusts exceeding 100 km/h, especially in the hills. Waves that increase to very strong with even intense waves from the southwest on all coasts (period of up to 9 seconds).
The division into zones of the regional territory
- A: Along the coast from Ventimiglia to Noli, the entire province of Imperia, the Centa Valley
- B: Along the coast from Spotorno to Camogli including Val Polcevera and Alta Val Bisagno
- C: Along the coast from Portofino to the border with Tuscany, the entire province of La Spezia, Val Fontanabuona and Valle Sturla
- D: Stura Valley and the interior of Savona to Val Bormida
- E: Valle Scrivia, Val d’Aveto and Val Trebbia.