Very simple pasta and broccoli soup, almost essential compared to other recipes rich in spices and flavors. It is rightly considered a pride of Roman gastronomy, along with another soup that is becoming legendary, because it is now very rare to find. That is, the famous pasta and broccoli soup with lively chicken. That is, with the “stingray” sauce (the fish that the Romans call vivacious), legendary if it is made “with pietruzze” (gelatinous bones to chew).
Soups in Rome They have gone out of fashion. And my friend Marcella, here, tells me that this is common in all big cities, not just in Rome. But in the capital They used to be serious business.. We discuss the processing and ingredients in detail. If any innkeeper made variations on traditional recipes (which was risky in Rome) he immediately became a celebrity, regardless of the culinary results. Then groups of friends went to test it and decided whether to confirm its glory or throw it in the dust.
Indeed, There are numerous Roman soups that are famous throughout central Italy.. Traditionally divided into two families: with and without rhythm.
The pasta and broccoli soup that we offer you It is part of the Con Battto family. That is, part of a mixture of aromas. defeated (mashed) with a fat that guides the flavor of the entire soup.
A single ingredient (pasta or rice) is usually added to this mixture, other times two (pasta or rice plus a vegetable), but generally no more. Rome has never been a city of minestrone soups.
To support the flavor of the whole, however, the mixture must be substantial, in addition to “beaten”, in fact, not chopped. But the important thing is the type of fat used, because it is the true protagonist of the flavor. Generally lard was used, whose soft and round aroma was enhanced by the heat of the soup. The alternative was dewlap or the bacon. But it was used for some particular soups. raw ham: lean and fat parts together, with fat predominating.
This last option must be chosen carefully, because ham gives a characteristic flavor, excellent for some combinations, but not for all.
the soup of pasta and broccoli that we suggest includes hamcrushed in a kitchen mortar along with just the garlic.
The broccoli to be used is traditionally Romanesco., very recognizable for its intense green color and its characteristic cone-shaped peaks. But obviously the municipalities are also fine. broccoli cabbage (the whites) oi branched broccoli that we used. For this soup it is best to avoid broccoli and turnip greens.
The pasta is obviously short., with a preference for the long slice: spaghetti or, above all, durum wheat fettuccine. However, knives are also used. For the pasta and broccoli soup in the photo we used broken queens.
DOSE FOR 4 PEOPLE .
- 240 g short durum wheat pasta
- 600 g Romanesco broccoli, trimmed of the toughest stems
- 50 g raw ham (mix of lean and fat)
- 150 g peeled tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cube of meat
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and clean the Romanesco broccoli, removing the thickest and toughest parts of the stems, then cut it into regular pieces.
- Coarsely chop the garlic and ham and grind them for a few minutes in the mortar. Then fry the mixture in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons of oil. [Se non avete il mortaio, o preferite accelerare i tempi, mettete a soffriggere aglio e prosciutto dopo averli tritati insieme il più finemente possibile]. Let it rest for 6-7 minutes over very low heat (the minimum) and covered, stirring a couple of times.
- Now add the broccoli, raise the heat a little (medium-low) and let it flavor the sauté for a few minutes. Then add the peeled tomatoes to the saucepan, mash them with a fork, add a pinch of salt, mix and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Cover everything with 1.5 liters of boiling water, in which you have dissolved the stock cube, and cook over low heat for another 10 minutes. Once finished, taste and season with salt.
- Finally, pour in the pasta and let it cook as long as necessary. As soon as you turn it off, season with a generous dose of freshly ground pepper.
The pasta and broccoli soup should be served hot, finishing each serving with a splash of raw oil. Cheese is not included, but it is used a lot in Rome, so leave some grated pecorino cheese on the table for those who want it.
Follow us and advise us on our Facebook pages (profumibasilico) and Instagram (@profumibasilico.it)