Baked turkey breast seasoned with mushrooms or with mushroom sauce has a particularity: there are a huge number of recipes on the Internet, but not even one of the typical and traditional ones. It is possible that the reason is due to the fact that turkey is assimilated to chicken, and therefore it is cooked with chicken recipes. In addition, on the Internet, typical recipes from other countries such as Italians are often passed off, where the combination of turkey and mushrooms is not uncommon.
The fact is that the baked turkey breast with mushrooms that we present to you is an original recipe. Of which we have not found the same or very similar recipes or in books and recipes, or on the Internet.
For us, even without having certain documentation, it is a typical Sicilian recipe. This is because we first tried it many years ago at the lady’s house. Elvira SessaOriginally from Catania. Which he assured that it was a dish that he had learned from his mother. In other words, a century ago, because Doña Elvira died in 2018 at the age of 95. The recipe is still cooked by children and grandchildren as a traditional family dish.
In favor of our attribution is also the fact that the recipe is very similar to the well-known Sicilian chops. Of which there are different versions (Catania, Palermo, Messina and others), but all battered with the addition of spices and herbs and then grilled. Basically, our baked turkey breast is (almost) a Sicilian cutlet with the addition of mushrooms.
This is a dish that really deserves to be recommended., because it is very functional to prepare a “special” lunch, even for many people. In fact, it looks great on the table, it’s really delicious and it’s super easy to do. Also, which is of great importance, especially if you have guests, It is a quick and practical dish, because it can be programmed. In fact, it takes a few hours of time, but all to let the mushrooms season and get moist: time in which you don’t have to do anything. After that, it only takes 10 actual minutes of preparation and 25 minutes of cooking in the oven.
The mushrooms are all good.as long as they are fresh and firm. We use (and recommend) the fresh and mixed ones from the supermarket: Champignons, Pleurotus and Pioppini. The result (also very experienced: it is a dish that we often cook) we guarantee: it is excellent. However, it is obvious that the addition of a few chanterelles (chanterelles) or a porcine would add goodness to goodness.
DOSES FOR 4 PEOPLE
Baked turkey breast recipe:
- 600 g turkey breast
- 600g fresh, cleaned mixed mushrooms
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pour 5 tablespoons of oil into a salad bowl and season with finely chopped garlic, two tablespoons of chopped parsley and a pinch of oregano
- Chop the mushrooms and put them in the salad bowl, salt them sparingly (a little salt is important, because it favors the release of vegetable liquids) and mix carefully. Let the mushrooms aromatize for at least three hours (preferably 5-6 hours), stirring several times.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters and set aside, letting them drain for a few minutes.
- Dry the turkey breast slices with a cloth and cover them one by one, then place them on a lightly greased baking sheet. Use an appropriately sized frying pan or pyrophile so that the slices are a little tight and do not become accentuated flattened
- Season the breaded turkey with a very little salt and a generous grind of pepper. Now add the cherry tomatoes to the mushrooms, mix and distribute everything (including the water that comes out of the mushrooms) over the turkey slices. Complete with a drizzle of oil
- Preheat the oven to 190°, put in the oven at medium height and cook the seasoned turkey breast for about 25 minutes. This is the only point you need to pay attention to – do not bring an undercooked turkey to the table. Since, regardless of any indication, cooking times can vary greatly in relation to the type of oven and the humidity of the meat, it is necessary to adjust by eye. The dish is ready when the outer corners of the meat (the parts not covered by the mushrooms) are browned and begin to grill
Leave a Reply