A highly appreciated delicacy in Italy, practically always, in recent years skewers have also become one last minute recipe, One of those so-called “dinner saver” recipes that literally take 40 minutes to be ready, from the time you enter the house to the time you sit down at the table. In fact, if you really don’t have time, in any supermarket you can buy mixed meat and vegetable skewers ready to cook.
These mixed skewers are also also excellent for an evening with distinguished guests. In addition to tasting, and they are truly delicious, they are also beautiful to look at. If you pay a little attention to the choice of vegetables you can bringing a rainbow of spring goodness to the table.
In fact, the recipe is traditional from Tuscany. And we have stuck to the typical Tuscan style because there is the particularity of artichokes. Which objectively, despite being an authentic delicacy, are quite rare to see among the ingredients of meat skewers. But apart from artichokes, we only use vegetables. Peppers AND Cherry tomatoes.
However, if you want to enrich these skewers with flavors and colors (or you prefer to cook mixed vegetarian skewers, vegetables only) In addition to using red, yellow and green peppers, you can choose between zucchini, onions, carrots, celery, leeks, pumpkin, mushrooms, asparagus and eggplant. And, if you want to dare, even some apple slices.
When cooking with dry heat, as in the case of our mixed skewers in the oven (but also grilled or grilled), it is advisable to flavor the meat in aromatic marinades.
There are many, traditional from each region, all modified by the imagination and/or availability of ingredients of the cook.
For the meat skewers marinades are predominantly based on acidic liquids emulsified with olive oil. For example, especially wine, but also lemon (or orange or other citrus) juice, various vinegars, beer, cider and other liquors.
About the aromas almost never missinggarlicbut we also use the onion and more herbschoice between rosemary, thyme, myrtle, oregano, marjoram, mint, sage, fennel.
The role of spiceschoosing and mixing peppers of all colors, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, juniper, fennel seeds…
The meat should be marinated in the aromatic mixture for at least an hour (preferably two or three) in a cool place (possibly in the refrigerator), turning several times.
- 350 g meat, preferably chicken, beef or pork
- 200 grams of sausage
- 4 artichoke stems
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper
- 4 or more cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 12 sage leaves
- Thyme or rosemary
- 1 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Finely chop 4 sage leaves along with a generous sprig of rosemary (or the leaves of 4-5 sprigs of thyme). In a small bowl, mix the mixture with 4 tablespoons of oil, add a pinch of grated lemon peel and let it rest for half an hour or more.
- Cut the sausage and meat into equal pieces. Trim the stems of the artichokes along the leathery outer parts, cut them into pieces of about 4 cm each and soak them in water acidified with lemon juice. Peel the pepper, remove the seeds and white internal filaments, and cut it into pieces not much larger than the meat pieces.
- Now make the mixed skewers, threading alternating pieces of meat and vegetables, also inserting half a sage leaf every 2-3 touches. Leave the moistest vegetables (in our case half a cherry tomato) and the fatty meat (sausages, or bacon if there is any) at the ends. Finally, line a baking tray with baking paper and place the skewers you have prepared on it, making sure they are not in contact with each other.
- Heat the oven to 190-200 °C and place the mold with the skewers. Let cook for 10 minutes and then quickly remove the pan. [“velocemente” per non far scendere troppo la temperatura interna del forno]. Turn all the skewers over and brush them with the aromatic oil sauce you have prepared. Then quickly return the pan to the oven and cook for another 10 minutes. Take out your mixed skewers again, moisten them with aromatic oil and salt them moderately before cooking them for the last 5 minutes. Total cooking time is approximately 25 minutes: if you want the skewers to brown more, turn on the grill in the last few minutes. Like all meat skewers, these mixes should also be served hot.
BAKED MIXED MEAT SKEWERS: HOW TO MAKE THEM REALLY SPECIAL
MARINATED AND BAKED SWORDFISH SKEWERS
PORK CHOPS WITH AROMATIC HERBS
FRYING SAUSAGES, SCENTED WITH WINE AND A LITTLE MORE
THE EXQUISITE ROASTED LAMB IN PORCHETTA
PASTOR SARDINO’S BAKED LAMB CHOPS
THE PERFECT STEAK, HOW TO COOK IT AT HOME